Legal Toolkit Pennsylvania Adoption and Surrogacy

What to Do About Adoption and Surrogacy


Get adoption attorney referrals from other adoptive parents, your local bar association or adoption agencies.


Adoptive parents can seek out local adoption support groups as sources of local information and experience adopting (see “Where to Read More” for links to some local resources).


For birth parents, an experienced adoption attorney or local adoption agency can put you in touch with prospective adoptive families who have been pre-screened and approved and can help you to understand your rights and options.


Birth parents can ask an adoption attorney about post-adoption contact agreements, which are legal plans that can specify the type and amount of contact members of the birth family have with an adopted child post-adoption.


Though international adoptions are finalized abroad, parents might want to consider re-adoption in the United States because it enables them to obtain an American birth certificate from their state of residence for the child, as well as certified copies of the child’s birth certificate from the state’s department of vital records (needed for school registration, athletics, etc.).  A legal name change can also be completed from a re-adoption in the United States.  An attorney experienced with international adoptions can help with the re-adoption process in state court.